incorporating options to minimize the environmental footprints of a cleanup
- Updated ASTM Standard Guide for Greener Cleanups now available
- March 21 Presidential Memorandum: Building National Capabilities for Long-Term Drought Resilience
- New edition of eGRID containing data on environmental characteristics of individual power plants
- Funding opportunity: Assisting Federal Facilities with Energy Conservation Technologies (AFFECT) 2016
- Call for abstracts: Fourth International Symposium on Bioremediation and Sustainable Environmental Technologies
- Call for abstracts: Ninth International Conference on Remediation and Management of Contaminated Sediments
- News archives...
View the new video on Green Remediation at Lawrence Aviation Site
Passive treatment systems are used to address acid mine drainage (AMD) at the De Sale Restoration Area in western Pennsylvania. BMPs for designing and operating the systems include using gravity flow rather than pumps to convey AMD, obtaining industrial byproducts as a replacement for virgin materials, repurposing onsite treatment structures over time, recovering waste for potential commercial use, and employing onsite constructed wetlands as a nursery for plants needed at nearby AMD sites also undergoing treatment.
in the field
Best Management Practice (BMP)
- An Overview (PDF) (2 pp, 231K) *Update*
- Excavation and Surface Restoration (PDF) (4 pp, 238K)
- Site Investigation (PDF) (4 pp, 179K)
- Pump and Treat Technologies (PDF) (8 pp, 225K)
- Bioremediation (PDF) (4 pp, 176K)
- Soil Vapor Extraction & Air Sparging (PDF) (4 pp, 131K)
- Clean Fuel & Emission Technologies for Site Cleanup (PDF) (10 pp, 354K)
- Integrating Renewable Energy into Site Cleanup (PDF) (8 pp, 335K)
- Sites with Leaking Underground Storage Tank Systems (PDF) (6 pp, 448K)
- Landfill Cover Systems & Energy Production (PDF) (6 pp, 465K)
- Overview of EPA's Methodology to Address the Environmental Footprint of Site Cleanup (PDF) (2 pp, 176K)
- Mining Sites (PDF) (6 pp, 535K)
- Implementing In Situ Thermal Technologies (PDF) (6 pp, 249K)
- Materials and Waste Management (PDF) (4pp, 397K)
GR Technology Primer (PDF) (56 pp, 814K):
Incorporating Sustainable Environmental Practices into Remediation of Contaminated Sites
- EPA Strategic Plan, FY 2014-2018
- ...EPA's hazardous waste programs also are working to reduce the energy use and environmental footprint during the investigation and remediation of hazardous waste sites.
Goal 3: Cleaning Up Communities and Advancing Sustainable Development
EPA's Methodology for Understanding and Reducing a Project's Environmental Footprint uses 21 metrics and a seven-step process to quantify energy, air, water, and materials & waste comprising the environmental footprint of a remedy. The supporting Spreadsheets for Environmental Footprint Analysis (SEFA) workbooks are available to help users estimate each of the methodology's metrics on a site-specific basis. Related background studies, examples, and data gathering tools offer additional information of value to environmental footprint assessment.
Learn about executive orders, requirements, and guidance on energy and water management, green purchasing, and environmental stewardship
Questions and comments about EPA's green remediation efforts may be forwarded to:
Carlos Pachon, Office of Superfund Remediation and Technology Innovation.